Sunday, February 6, 2011

Who Gets the Credit?

At the age of 11, I began cooking dinner for our family of 6.  My two older sisters were busy with after school activities and my younger sister would be dropped off by the bus about an hour after me.  I was the first of 4 to come home after school.  My mother would have everything written down for me; the recipe, start times even the tasks easy as opening the refrigerator.  I would begin chopping, slicing, seasoning (S & P only) and putting meals in the oven, electric skillet whatever the case.  If I had any questions/problems I would call my grandma.  Land line rotary phone only, no cell phones back then, how did we survive?  She was my culinary authority and continued to be so throughout my life.  My grandma cooked with a purpose.  Her quest was to make everything fresh and pleasing to the palate.  Her cooking is what I hoped for myself.  Cook like you love what you’re doing.  If your meals taste like you've put some love into them, they will be appreciated.  I would continue prepping and cooking until my mom finished her bus route.  She would come home and finish dinner, or take it out of the oven and place on the table.  She would get full credit regardless of the outcome of the meal.  I didn't understand it then, but the timing was impeccable.  My mom knew exactly when to begin and end prep tasks.  She knew how long to cook something.  She could convey these directions on a note for me.  Why couldn't she understand how to make something taste good?  It baffles me to this day.  Nonetheless dinner would be on the table just as my father walked through the door.  How did she manage this?  Knowing now what I didn't know then, about my mother’s cooking skills, it was probably better timing on my dad’s part.  My father somehow knew by the amount of smoke coming out of the house, just kidding, how long he had to make it through the door.  Or maybe he knew the routine going on inside the kitchen and planned his trip home to match the meal for the night.  He knew his meal because my mom had the menu for the week posted on the refrigerator.  He also realized early on in the marriage that it was better to eat Marie’s cooking hot.  Hot and mediocre is much better than cold and mediocre.  Good or mediocre our family didn't go hungry.  My mom took the credit and I gained valuable kitchen skills.  I continue to hone these skills and pass them to my daughter.  Although she is not prepping the family dinner by herself, she has learned many recipes and simple ways to fend for herself.  I’m not sure if my mom had the intentions or the intuition to see my potential in the kitchen, but I thank her for the opportunity.  Maybe I was convenient for her as I was the only one able to get things started.  Through my childhood experiences and further into my adult life, I have been fascinated by the culinary art.  I continue to gain valuable skills, knowledge and passion for cooking.  Thanks mom for getting me started, regardless if it were intentional or not.  I appreciate the effort you made for me.  My family, neighbors and friends also thank you. 

No comments: