Sunday, October 31, 2010

FALL DESSERTS.......BEWARE

Can you imagine trading places with Charlie Brown on Halloween?  I would have.  I would have relished the idea of “getting a rock.”  No no no, not our generation, we had the popcorn ball; a sticky ball of mostly burnt, popcorn, dyed orange or black.  We also had the joy or common misconception of receiving apples, red delicious apples, “the apples with razor blades in them.”  I don’t know where it started but this story grew in popularity in my generation.  This rumor was equal to the wives tale of having to wait 30 minutes before getting into the swimming pool after you have eaten.  What a bunch of BS.  This was our parent’s way of getting their grubby adult paws on our hard earned treasure of sugar.  My friends and I would walk miles for treats from every neighborhood of our little town.  But we didn’t go to strangers houses; no way!  They were the ones giving out those apples!  I grew up in a town of 3000 people, there were no strangers!  More things my parents lied about, strangers in a town of 3000?  I even knew the names of their pets.  I did get a few apples.  To my recollection, I never saw my mom throw them out.  For some strange reason, after October 31st we always had baked apples for dessert.  Hmm….I wonder why?  Could it be those tainted apples?  Would she dare serve those throat slicing delicacies to small children?  Was she angry?  Did she not want her children to live?  Did she feel the need to destroy her marriage?  We shall only speculate.  Nonetheless here is the recipe:   Razor blade free red delicious apples, cored, cut in half, placed in a baking dish with a pat of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar on top, baked at 350 degrees until soft and GBD ( golden brown and delicious) red delicious, yummy?  You be the judge.  You now have the recipe.  Share these treats with your family.  Warning to family:  Stick with the popcorn ball!

No comments: