Sunday, March 13, 2011

An 8 Year Old Vegetarian?

On a rare trip to the drive-in theatre, yes I said drive-in theatre.  You remember the ones; the gigantic screen, large parking lot overgrown with weeds and a never ending row of galvanized pipe with 2 speakers on either side.  These were not Bose speakers.  This speaker is mono tuned with weather resistant materials inside and out, a sculpted metal hanger to hook on a partially rolled down driver’s side window.  We had a station wagon; yup I had to sit in the back.  Do you think I ever heard one word of any movie our family of 6 attended?  My mom would always pack dinner and put it in a cooler.  Usually some kind of cold cut sandwiches, a can of Faygo soda, and homemade caramel corn for dessert.  The movie, I mean the sandwich, which is etched in my memory was the BLT minus the B.  I know I’m special, being the only boy, but why would you feel the need to deprive your only son of meat, especially bacon?  I recall driving to this movie theatre shedding tears of unhappiness and exclaiming child abuse out the rear window.  My sandwich consisted of mayo, lettuce, tomato on cold toast, a vegetarian delicacy.  Whatever!  I was not vegetarian and do not recall any vegetarians in the 1970’s in my neck of the woods.  I was a growing boy, I needed protein, especially bacon, give me all the bacon and give my sisters vegetables, not to stereotype or anything but I needed meat.  I think Bambi was the movie we attended that fateful night.  If it weren’t for the caramel corn, I could have ended up like Bambi’s father.  Bambi’s father dead from a hunter’s bullet.  Rob Longstreth, 8yrs old, dead from parental negligence (lack of protein intake, no bacon) may he rest in peace.

No comments: