Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Mysterious Meaty Memory

I would be inclined to think that we 40 something year olds rarely serve our children meals of our past.  There are certainly dishes we surmise as staples; burgers, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc.  Think back to your childhood and try to recall that one dish you consumed at least once a month.  Without even a consideration of how it became such an iconic staple of our generation, Americans have been eating them since WWII.  This iconic staple would meet specifications for dinner, lunch and budget.  For me it is clear what this entrée was.  This mixture was as traditional as pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dessert.  Within my little community there were as many recipes as families, and it was served in every school as a nutritional entree.  Every household recipe had its own unique zest and texture.  The meal, which I am speaking, also led to a major food company to invent a canned product which made it even more economical.  Since its debut in 1969, it revolutionized the preparation and consistency and has been available in grocery stores to this day.  I can honestly say that I haven’t eaten one of these since probably 1985.  This kid friendly staple is known worldwide as, none other than the Sloppy Joe.  Who was Joe?  Why was he considered Sloppy?  The history is unclear as where and who is responsible for its creation, but mothers across the country made this sandwich their own.  My mom was no exception.  Her recipe consisted of tomato paste, ketchup, chopped onion, salt, pepper and of course 1lb. of ground beef.  Thank goodness for Hunt’s creation, Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce.  This finally gave our family flavors outside everyday recognition.  We knew what we liked and Manwich was superior to Marie’s formula.  Just thinking and writing about this sandwich makes my mouth water.  I can recall the taste in my mouth, the aroma, the bun, and even the texture of the paper plate from which we consumed these handmade delicacies.  I say we bring this back!  Right now, one or four of these sound really, really good.  Maybe tonight I will make them for my family.  Maybe I will go out and get that can of Manwich, brown up some ground turkey, spoon up some sandwiches, sit back, and recall my past.  Savoring every delicious mouthful of seasoned, tomato-y goodness, I will reminisce of good times and family events.  What a vehicle for a drive down memory lane!  A simple bun filled with simple goodness and served proudly on a paper plate.   How could life get easier than that?

No comments: